Prayer to an Omnipresent God. . .

Friday 12 October 2007



As some of you may know I was in Norway over the Summer and I thought I'd show you all a photo and share something that I learned! I think Norway must be one of the most beautiful places in the world - a fine display of God's artistry and creativity with Creation! In fact, surrounded by that Creation I felt the presence of God more than anywhere I've ever been! What was the natural response to that? I prayed, and it seemed like God was only an arm's length away! I was in a 'Cathedral' of Creation - whose walls were mountains and the floor was still water, and God was there with me! And yet, God was no closer to me there then He is right now! He was no closer then than He is when I'm having that crap day, when I feel like I couldn't be bothered, when the weight of the world is on me, when frankly God seems a million miles away! And so the next time you have one of those days, remember God and remember that He hasn't gone anywhere!!!!!

I recently read a wonderful thought on why we pray and I thought I'd share it with you! It's written by an old guy called C H Spurgeon:


"Prayer is in itself, apart from the answer that it brings, a great benefit to the Christian. As the runner gains strength for the race by daily exercise, so for the great race of life we acquire energy by the holy exercise of prayer. Prayer thins the feathers of God's young eaglets, so that they can learn to soar above the clouds. Prayer readies God's warriors and sends them out to combat with their sinews braced and their muscles firm. The praying believer comes out of his closet, even as the sun rises from the chambers of the east, rejoicing like an athlete about to race... Prayer equips human weakness with divine strength, turns human folly into heavenly wisdom, and gives the peace of God to troubled souls. We do not know what prayer cannot do!"

What a great thought! Why do we ever stop praying?

Posted by Chris Thompson at 09:47  

1 comments:

Great write up by the Prince of Preachers..C H Spurgeon! That great man of old prayed often that born again believers who in his day, sat under the ministry of ecumenical apostate clergymen would have their eyes opened by the Lord and obey the clear command that Gods word teaches on separation. Norway looks like a wonderful place, and indeed is a remarkable picture of Gods creation! Although former moderator of the Irish Presbyterian Church and self confessed evolutionist Dr David Clarke would not agree to that.

Anonymous said...
6 November 2007 at 14:00  

Post a Comment